Dear Adoptive Parents,
In accordance with the Ukrainian law, the Consular Office of the Embassy of Ukraine should include your child (children) adopted in Ukraine into the list of Ukrainian citizens permanently residing in Australia.
In order to process appropriate paperwork, you should send to the Consular Office the following documents:
- completed registration form;
- your child(ren)’s ORIGINAL passport(s) (Travel Document of a Child);
- a copy of the Ukrainian Court’s Decree on adoption (in Ukrainian).
- a prepaid return envelope.
In case you change your place of residence, you are required to inform the Consular Office.
The Ukrainian law provide that adoptive parents submit to the Embassy of Ukraine in the state of their residence a report on physical and mental development of their child(ren) annually three consecutive years after adopting the child9ren). Then, they are required to provide the Ukrainian Consular Office with a relevant report once in three year until their child is 18 years old.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Citizens of Australia, who wish to adopt a child from Ukraine, should submit a written declaration to the State Department on Adoption and Protection of the Children's Rights of the Ministry of Family, Sports and Youth of Ukraine (address: Kyiv, 14, Desyatynna Street, tel.: (+38044) 270-5333) requesting their placement on a list of candidates for adoption.
Such declaration should be accompanied by the following documents:
1. Declaration executed by the competent Australian authorities which confirms the candidate's capacity to be registered, including his status as a homeowner or lessee of an acceptable residence, background information, current marital status - whether married, for how long, with how many children and their age, other relevant personal data. In case the declaration is made by non-governmental authorities, a copy of the authorization issued by the competent Australian governmental authorities granting approval for the adoption should be attached.
Please note that according to Ukrainian legislation, it is illegal in Ukraine to conduct business related to adoption through an intermediary organization or facilitators.
2. Permit of the competent Australian governmental authorities where a prospective parent or parents reside allowing to adopt and to bring a child for legal residence in Australia.
3. Document regarding receipts, annual income (bank statement showing the annual income of the family).
4. Medical Records (Statement) of each prospective parent being registered.
5. Marriage Certificate (required for married couples).
6. Copy of passport of each prospective parent being registered.
7. Criminal background check (police clearance) by the competent Law enforcement authorities for each prospective parent being registered.
8. Letter of Obligation to register a child within one month with the Consular Office of the Embassy of Ukraine and provide the Consular Office with the annual updated information (post placement reports) on a child's development. According to the Ukrainian Law the Consular Office is bound to supervise and visit the adopted child. The Ukrainian Law on Citizenship envisages that the child shall remain a citizen of Ukraine until he/she comes of age.
The above mentioned documents, which were issued by the Australian authorities and are to be presented to the Ukrainian authorities, must have an APOSTILLE put by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Australia.
The documents should be translated into the Ukrainian language.
State Department on Adoption and Protection of the Children's Rights of the Ministry of Family, Sports and Youth of Ukraine examines the adoption documents presented by the prospective adoptive parents, places candidates on a waiting list, gives them necessary information regarding the children available for adoption, including all information which would be necessary for adoption and then schedules an appointment for prospective adoptive parents to visit an orphanage in order to meet and select a child qualified for adoption.
All issues regarding completion of all procedures relating to adoption of a child from Ukraine should be addressed to the State Department on Adoption and Protection of the Children's Rights of the Ministry of Family, Sports and Youth of Ukraine.
At the time foreign citizens seek to finalize their application for the adoption of a specific child, the State Department on Adoption and Protection of the Children's Rights of the Ministry of Family, Sports and Youth of Ukraine examines all necessary materials and gives written permission to begin adoption proceedings or, at that time, a written denial in a detailed form.
Adoption of the child, who is a citizen of Ukraine, by foreign citizens, is effected by the decision of the city (region) Court only.
No payments are to be made by candidates for the adoption of a child except those related to covering incidental office expenses.
No person acting in an introductory or intermediary capacity is allowed to accept any kind of payment for having facilitated the adoption of a child.
The applicable Law of Ukraine, which regulates adoption issues, is:
The interstate Adoption Procedure is governed by the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine No.905, effective October 8th, 2008.
That Decree stipulates that the Consular Office of the Embassy of Ukraine shall supervise an adopted child and obtain post placement reports from adoptive parents.
Please, be advised that these provisions are subject to change without prior notification.
Please be informed that to apply for a new Ukrainian passport for your child(ren) you must mail to the Consular Office of the Embassy of Ukraine the following documents:
- child’s original passport (Travel Passport of a Child);
- completed application form;
- 3 color passport-size photos;
- a copy of the child’s birth certificate;
- prepaid return envelope